Wednesday, September 22, 2010

An ode to Friendship

This post is dedicated to my friend who got married recently. Calling him a friend would in fact be an understatement. We have been friends for over 10 years now and he is one of the closest ally I have. I would say that he is one of those rare people who would know A2Z about me.

A person who in many ways is better than I, and who most parents would want to have as a son or girls would want to have as their partner. On the other hand, we have been close friends over the same period.

His wedding was fixed for the 4th of Sept. I had booked my ticket two months in advance, so that I do not miss the occasion. More than the wedding, I wanted to be the one who would sign as the witness for the wedding. There were two reason for it. I could never be part of such a ceremony on my own, and two I wanted to be the best man.

I should say I was in for a surprise when i reached the venue, for the place was filled with his relatives and I had a sinking feeling that I would not be able to do the honors of witnessing his wedding. The process began and I was left outside the office when I was called for to be the third witness.

I should say I was overwhelmed. I did not think he would be in a position to call for me with so many relatives in place. I just looked at him for a second, smiled within and placed my name where it belonged.

No comments: